Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Doctors Appointment & Baby Gender Myths

Our 16 week appointment went well today and quick! At my second appointment I got to see Baby C on a small hand held monitor so I asked Chris if he wanted to come today to see the baby. As it turns out we did not get to use the little hand held monitor today. Chris did get to hear the heartbeat again which is a strong 150 bpm. The doctor says my weight and bump size is right on course which was nice to hear since I was freaking out a little bit in my mind that I wasn't big enough yet. All is well!
We also scheduled the big detailed ultrasound that they take a closer look at EVERYTHING including the sex of the baby! That's scheduled for the morning of December 13th!

So now as we begin the last four weeks of 'The Baby Gender Unknown' I'd like to let you pick your poison for whatever helps you decide what you think the gender will be. Below are some of the more common old wives tales that pertain to my pregnancy. 28 days left to vote on the poll, you decide, Sweet Boy or Daddy's Girl?!?

# 1 Updated Heart Rate:

The theory states that if your baby's heart rate was 140 beats per minute and above, you would be having a girl. If the heart rate was under 140 beats per minute, then you would be having a boy.

1st Appt - 167 bpm
2nd Appt - 155 bpm
3rd Appt - 150 bpm

# 2 Boy Dreams:

I've heard this myth go both ways. Some claim if you dream of a certain sex that is a premonition of what you having. On the other hand, there is a mass of people out there that swear you have the opposite of what you dream.
My dreams have always been about boys, plural, there has always been two! The doctor swears there is only one in there! But the boys in my dreams have never been babies and they have never been MY baby. The first was of an older version of my nephews Kellan and Keegan (Sarah, if you're wondering what they will look when they are older I've got that under control, their heart breakers). The next dream was of the two brothers I use to babysit when I was younger, Nicklaus and Nolan, and although they are indeed older now, my dream was when they were younger like the age I babysat them. The last dream was of the two brothers down the street from us, although it was only the one boys face because in my dream they were identical twins. I looked up the meaning of dreams about twins and they say it's not a premonition that you will have twins, it more so is that you are indirectly meeting your other half, the other part of you. So long story short you're meeting your baby. So does that mean I'm having a boy? or since I was also a boy in the dream does it mean Baby C will be the same sex as me and be a girl?

# 3 Old Wives Tale:
  • If you are craving salty or sour foods, meats and cheese, potato fries, pretzels and popcorn then it's a BOY!
  • If you are craving ice cream, chocolate, and candy then it's a GIRL!
This one is tricky, I have not had, "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE THIS!" cravings. Instead I've been wanting many different foods. A few things have been consistent... I am in love with spicy food (Indian, Curry's, Hot Sauce, Hot Sauce, Hot Sauce), and I can't have just one Honeycrisp Apple. I must have at least two...maybe three, and lastly, if there is a cheese curd on the menu...it's mine! No questions asked. Every now and then I want ice cream but depending on what the dessert choice is I can usually pass it up because it doesn't sound appetizing. I've been leaning more towards savory food, but love a good salty sweet treat as well like Hawaiian Sweet Onion Maui Kettle Chips. Do you see me dilemma? I love the salty/savory foods AND I love the sweets.

1 comment: