Sunday, February 27, 2011

Saturday Night Dinner

Well, I tried, that's what counts, right? I love to cook and try new things, I don't always get those new things right. Point in case....



This is a gorgeous stuffed artichoke before we cooked it. I found this recipe on a food blog and her stuff always looks so delicous, but she could really use a lesson or two on how to write a recipe. There were tons of holes in the recipe she wrote that left me guessing on what needed to be done next. The basics to this recipe were to stuffed the artichoke, put in a pan with 1/4" thickness of water in the bottom, cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Easy! I hesitated before I started debating if I should add more water right off the bat because 1/4" didn't seam like it would last through 40 minutes of simmering without evaporating.

Long story short, I was right. The wonderful smell of stuffing quickly turned to a burning smell and I quickly added more water. What gets me, is even though the artichokes were not actually burned and I let them go the full 40 minutes, covered, they didn't seem to be fully cooked! Grr! I have never cooked an artichoke before, only bought artichoke hearts in a jar that just need to be heated up and are ready to go, so I guess I don't really know what a full home cooked one is suppose to turn out like. I guess I always thought the leaves were edible after being cooked, mine definitely were not. We picked the leaves off and sucked the stuffing and what little "meat" we could get off of them. So confused, where did I go wrong on this one?

If anyone has ever cooked a full artichoke and is laughing at me right now for some silly step or concept that I missed I'd love to know what I got wrong!

P.S. Steph I know you read this and be thankful you couldn't make it. Although the Pinot Noir-Horseradish Salmon and Mango Wheat Berries were delicious, you would have hated the artichoke, the texture was all wrong for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment