Big Run + Big Party makes for one BIG LABOR DAY WEEKEND.
BIG RUN: Saturday, September 4th my good friend Steph and I attempted a half marathon. I have been training for this run since April and couldn't believe it had come up so fast, where did the summer go!? Many people asked me if I am a runner and when I reply that I am not I get a lot of looks like I'm crazy. "Why in the world would you want to run a Marathon!?" Then I correct them, it's only a Half, 13.1 miles. This is where I look even more crazy for using the word ONLY before 13.1 miles. My real reason for running this half marathon, to get in shape. That's all. I never dreamed of running in a half but figured if I was held accountable to something like a race I was more likely to stick with it.
Now, my body is not and probably never will be a runner's body. Before April I had not run over a mile since high school. I started a program to train my body to run, not run a half marathon, just train it to run. 16 weeks later I was breathing good and adding on the miles so I then began my 8 week program to train for the race. All was going well until week 6. I had the opportunity to run with Steph for the first time and we put in an 8 mile run through Stevens Point. It felt great, we were moving at the same pace and just trucking along. In the last mile I felt a slight pain in my right knee and figured it was just fatigue from the run. So we finished strong and couldn't believe we just completed 8 miles. For the first time, for me anyway, I realized I was actually going to be able to do this, I could run a half marathon! Then came the reality check.
My knee was sore for days and as I tried to continue with my program I found that I could no longer run more than a mile without tearing up in pain. I googled some possible reasons...why go to the doctor, right?...From what I gathered I have runner's knee. It occurs when your thighs and/or back muscles are not strong enough to support the continuous repetitive motion of running long distances. What did that mean for me? It meant kicking myself for not properly cross training throughout the summer, new supportive shoes & a knee brace. For years my thigh muscles were just that, muscular....when did they turn to mush and not muscle? It was news to me...sad...sad news. I was so upset that I was hurt and it felt even worse as I began to realize I may not be able to run the race. I had worked so hard and blew it!
I decided to still walk the race since that was not a bothersome motion for my knee. So the night before the race my parents and I met up with Steph and her parents at Maggiano's to load up big time on yummy carbs! We each had our one grass of wine allowance, big ol' bowls of pasta, and great conversation throughout dinner. It was the perfect way to calm our nerves before the race.
5:30am came real early though! And so did the 49 degree bite in the air! I had told my parents they no longer needed to come out to watch since I was walking it.(I would regret that decision later) I planed only to run the first 4-5 miles to get Steph started on her way. I could at least tough that much out and was positive I would pay for it the next day, but I wanted Steph to do well. I had taken two weeks off to help my knee recoup and thought for sure I would not be able to run much more than 4-5 miles. Before I knew it...
Mile 6: I was still feeling great! My knee had no pain so I kept moving and grooving along with Steph.
Mile 8: This number was significant to me since it was the number of miles in which I hurt my knee and as it would figure, this is when I started to feel some pain. I convinced myself it was mental and I was just getting psyched out over it being mile eight. This was also right around the time I began to regret telling my parents they didn't need to come. I knew I was going to complete the race, running the whole thing.

Steph and I at mile something...it all blurs after awhile!
Mile 9: It was no longer mental, I was really starting to hurt. I began run/walk intervals where I would walk for a minute or so and then run to catch up with Steph and then walk again and so on. At this point there was no way I was not going to finish this race. That competitive edge that I haven't felt in years came flooding back.
Mile 11: Another reality check...who's idea was it to put 2 miles of rolling upward hills at the end of the race....seriously?!! Talk about a downer!
Mile 13: Then let's throw in a little wet grass for you to run on just before entering the final tunnel. WET GRASS after 13 miles = QUICK SAND! Not cool! Our feet were moving but it sure didn't feel like it!
Mile 13.1 (56 degrees): 2hrs and 42mins later...Winners! Yeah, maybe we didn't win the whole race, our division or our age group, but for this being our first half marathon it was a win just to finish!

BIG PARTY!: Chris and I had a housewarming party the Sunday after the race. Great Idea Ashlee!! My parents came up to help us Saturday. Thank goodness for mom driving the car so I could sleep, relax, drink water, drink water, drink water, and ice my knee on the way home. We shopped for food, we cleaned some more, we cooked and then we slept. I don't recall hitting the pillow but I'm positive it felt good.
What didn't feel good was my entire body the next day!! My knee felt just fine...every other muscle and bone in my body made me want to cry. But who had time to cry when you are expecting nearly 60 guests in a couple hours!! The party was great, all of our neighbors stopped by to welcome us and family and friends came from far. The food seemed to go over really well...Chris and I are pretty sad there were not a ton of leftovers! We heart leftovers!
I forgot to break out the camera since I was more focused on limping around, entertaining guests, and giving tours of the house and landscaping. So with that said I feel the picture that best sums up how I felt after these past two days is this...

Hahaha! So Sleepy!
No comments:
Post a Comment